Lumaktaw sa pangunahing content

Smith: I’m a scrapper | Merse: Give him time

Dean Smith has vowed to fight on in his job, calling himself a “scrapper” as Aston Villa slipped to a fifth straight defeat at the hands of Southampton.

Adam Armstrong’s early strike was enough for Southampton to earn three points against Aston Villa and inflict a fifth consecutive loss to increase pressure on Smith.

Villa have not collected a single point since winning at Manchester United on September 25 and this 1-0 reverse will only fan the flames of speculation regarding the manager’s position ahead of the international break.

When asked about his future, Smith said: “I’m a scrapper. Always have been. I’m disappointed we’ve lost five on the spin but we’ve got players out injured. Five of our bench today were academy graduates. We will get players fit during the international break and we’ll be better when we come back.

“You saw what we are all about in the second half. I thought a fair score was a draw. They were the better side in the first half and we had the better of the second. We need more of that front-foot energy and intensity that we saw in the second half.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

FREE TO WATCH: Highlights from Southampton’s win over Aston Villa in the Premier League

Merse: Keep the faith with Smith

Villa did improve their efforts after a lacklustre first-half but despite posting 14 shots, they failed to seriously test Southampton goalkeeper Alex McCarthy. Smith has now lost five successive league games for the first time as Aston Villa head coach.

Despite the bleak run of form, former Villa midfielder Paul Merson thinks the hierarchy should keep the faith with Smith.

When asked how much patience Villa should show Smith, Merson said: “Plenty. I think he’s a good manager and I think he needs time.

“Jack Grealish was a big football for Aston Villa. He was their main player, so Smith needs time.

“As he said, and he never really makes excuses, but he’s got five or six players out that [usually] play.

“I hear managers saying they are not having too much luck with injuries and then you look at the list and one of them plays out of six. The players out for Villa are all big players and Smith needs them back in the team.

“Also, what he said about the six lads coming through the academy and being on the bench, that’s big stuff. You are playing in the Premier League and you are bringing youngsters through at the same time.

“For me, keep him in there because he will give the kids a chance as well. So, yes, keep the faith.”

Redknapp: Smith deserves time

Jamie Redknapp agreed with Merson regarding Smith’s future. He pointed out that not having Danny Ings, Bertrand Traore, Morgan Sanson and Douglas Luiz should give the manager a bit of breathing space over the international period.

Redknapp said: “The first-half performance is the sort of performance that will get a manager the sack, but they came out second-half, showed some desire and they made some chances.

“They were not the clear-cut chances you would have liked, but look at Smith and the players he’s got injured at the moment.

“He’s got no Danny Ings, no Bertrand Traore, no Morgan Sanson and no Douglas Luiz. They are players that can do something and that are really important.

“So, I think they just have to be very careful.

“As pundits, there are managers you get accused of being so aggressive towards getting them the sack, but I look at Dean Smith and it was always going to be hard.

“They’ve lost their talisman and their best player in Jack Grealish so whoever was going to take on the group was going to find this because they were so reliant on him. Every time I watched Villa without Grealish last year there were poor performances week in, week out.

“So, for that reason, you’ve got to give him time to get the likes of Emi Buendia and Leon Bailey playing to a level they can because right now, Bailey hasn’t adjusted to the Premier league and Buendia hasn’t found his form.”



Smith: I’m a scrapper | Merse: Give him time
Source: Healthy Lifestyle

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

Leonen is backlog topnotcher

Supreme Court Associate Justice Marvic Mario Victor Leonen has racked up the top spots in his division and the court en banc in terms of pending cases. Marvic Leonen Documents from the court show that aside from 82 unresolved en banc cases, Leonen also has 899 pending cases in the Third Division as of March 31, 2020. The division’s Statistics on Judicial Pending Cases was signed by Division Clerk of Court Misael Domingo Battung erd. Leonen has 199 cases classified as “aging” and 700 “non-aging” cases in the Third Division which he heads. Non-aging cases are cases which are waiting for other pleadings to be submitted. Other members of the Third Division at that time when the statistics were made were Justices Alexander Gesmundo, Rosmari Carandang, Rodil Zalameda and Samuel Gaerlan. Leonen has been with the Supreme Court for eight years, having been appointed by President Benigno Aquino 3rd on Nov. 21, 2012. He turns 58 years old on December 29. He is the division’s m...

TikTok donates $300,000 for typhoon victims in PH

Over the course of two weeks, two devastating back to back typhoons hit the Philippines. On November 1st, Super Typhoon Rolly (Goni) the strongest typhoon ever recorded in recent history struck the southern region of the Philippines. An estimated two million Filipinos have been affected, many of whom lost their homes and livelihoods. Ten days later, Typhoon Ulysses (Vamco) swept through many of the same provinces previously devastated by Typhoon Rolly, including Metro Manila and parts of Central Luzon leaving widespread flooding and power outages. Many areas are still struggling to recover from the aftermath of these calamities. Homes and livelihood across various provinces were lost to floods, strong winds and rain. LGUs and other organizations continue to mobilize and provide assistance to all who were affected by these typhoons, but many are still in desperate need of help. In line with its mission to inspire creativity and bring joy, TikTok has pledged to donate $300,000 (approxi...

NHL exec Colin Campbell explains league’s schedule goals in Canada

NHL senior executive vice president Colin Campbell says the league would like to try to preserve as many full-capacity home games as possible for Canadian fans, but acknowledges other factors are at play in redoing the schedule during the current COVID-19 surge. “You’d like to give the fans the opportunity to go to as many games as they can. They’ve already been shortchanged in the last year and a half … shortchanged completely watching hockey here in Canada,” Campbell said in an interview on the Real Kyper and Bourne show on Sportsnet 590 The Fan on Friday. “It’s a rite of passage to watch the world juniors this time of year for all young kids. I remember growing up watching it. Now, it’s cancelled. We’re trying to save as much as we can and delay it.” The NHL postponed nine more games on Friday because of arena capacity issues in Canada — with teams being allowed anywhere from zero fans (Montreal Canadiens) to 50 per cent capacity (Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Can...