Lumaktaw sa pangunahing content

Most Filipinos disapprove govt’s Covid response–survey

MORE than half of Filipinos, in a recent online survey, disapproved of the government’s response to the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic.

The “State of Southeast Asia 2021” survey from Nov. 18, 2020 to Jan. 10, 2021 said 53.7 percent of the respondents registered their disapproval, 25.4 percent approved and 20.9 percent were neutral.

The survey also said that the Philippine government should have encouraged more scientists and medical doctors to contribute to public policy discussions regarding the pandemic.

The survey, published by the Asean Studies Centre at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies – Yusof Ishak Centre, collected online responses from 1,032 respondents from 10 member-states of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean).

Of the 1,032 respondents, 67 or 6.5 percent came from the Philippines.

Almost 60 percent of the local respondents, or 59.7 percent, came from the academe, think tanks or research institutions; 19.4 percent from government; 13.4 percent from regional or international organizations; 6.0 percent from civil society, non-government organizations, media; and 1.5 percent from business and finance.

The top three challenges in Southeast Asia among Filipino respondents were the Covid-19 pandemic, unemployment and economic recession, and intense weather events resulting from climate change.

Of those who said that they disapproved the country’s response to the pandemic, 72.2 percent said that the government should have listened to the scientists and medical doctors in its Covid-19 response, while 58.3 percent said that the government should have invested in early warning systems for outbreaks and research and development for virus testing and vaccine development.

Meanwhile, 76.5 percent of those who registered their approval said that the government was able to implement public health measures to mitigate the pandemic, while 58.8 percent said that it was able to provide financial relief and support to affected citizens and businesses.

Filipinos thought that Singapore and Vietnam provided the best pandemic response in the Asean region. The Philippines was ranked third in the 10-nation group.

The respondents also thought that China, at 20.9 percent, provided the most help to the region during the pandemic, followed by the European Union and the United States at 16.4 percent, Japan at 11.9 percent, and Australia at 9 percent.

Reacting to the survey, the Department of Health said that it recognized the findings and values the voice of the Filipinos, adding that the department has continued to take steps in improving the health system.

It added that the DoH’s plans, policies and actions had been guided by science through their expert groups such as the Technical Advisory Group, the National Immunization Technical Advisory Group and the Health Technology Assessment Council.

‘Better than perceptions’
Albay 2nd District Rep. Joey Salceda said on Thursday that “there is no point in fixating on approval ratings” and that outcomes “are better than perceptions.”

In a statement, Salceda said in part that the survey “does not reflect the sentiment of the man and woman on the street.”

“That said, there is no point in fixating on approval ratings. Outcomes are better than perceptions. Our jobs as elected officials are to bring outcomes. What we can do is learn from these survey results and see how we can deliver better outcomes,” he said.

Salceda cited bills he filed in response to calls for early warning systems for future pandemics and outbreaks.

“I am principal author of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention Bill (HB 6096, the first COVID-19 response bill ever filed), and the charter of the Virology Institute of Science and Technology (HB 6793), which is a ‘Build, Build, Build’ priority,” he said. HB is House Bill.

For Bayan Muna Party-list Rep. Ferdinand Gaite, the survey was “very indicative” of the true situation.


Source: ManilaTimes

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

Leonen is backlog topnotcher

Supreme Court Associate Justice Marvic Mario Victor Leonen has racked up the top spots in his division and the court en banc in terms of pending cases. Marvic Leonen Documents from the court show that aside from 82 unresolved en banc cases, Leonen also has 899 pending cases in the Third Division as of March 31, 2020. The division’s Statistics on Judicial Pending Cases was signed by Division Clerk of Court Misael Domingo Battung erd. Leonen has 199 cases classified as “aging” and 700 “non-aging” cases in the Third Division which he heads. Non-aging cases are cases which are waiting for other pleadings to be submitted. Other members of the Third Division at that time when the statistics were made were Justices Alexander Gesmundo, Rosmari Carandang, Rodil Zalameda and Samuel Gaerlan. Leonen has been with the Supreme Court for eight years, having been appointed by President Benigno Aquino 3rd on Nov. 21, 2012. He turns 58 years old on December 29. He is the division’s m...

TikTok donates $300,000 for typhoon victims in PH

Over the course of two weeks, two devastating back to back typhoons hit the Philippines. On November 1st, Super Typhoon Rolly (Goni) the strongest typhoon ever recorded in recent history struck the southern region of the Philippines. An estimated two million Filipinos have been affected, many of whom lost their homes and livelihoods. Ten days later, Typhoon Ulysses (Vamco) swept through many of the same provinces previously devastated by Typhoon Rolly, including Metro Manila and parts of Central Luzon leaving widespread flooding and power outages. Many areas are still struggling to recover from the aftermath of these calamities. Homes and livelihood across various provinces were lost to floods, strong winds and rain. LGUs and other organizations continue to mobilize and provide assistance to all who were affected by these typhoons, but many are still in desperate need of help. In line with its mission to inspire creativity and bring joy, TikTok has pledged to donate $300,000 (approxi...

NHL exec Colin Campbell explains league’s schedule goals in Canada

NHL senior executive vice president Colin Campbell says the league would like to try to preserve as many full-capacity home games as possible for Canadian fans, but acknowledges other factors are at play in redoing the schedule during the current COVID-19 surge. “You’d like to give the fans the opportunity to go to as many games as they can. They’ve already been shortchanged in the last year and a half … shortchanged completely watching hockey here in Canada,” Campbell said in an interview on the Real Kyper and Bourne show on Sportsnet 590 The Fan on Friday. “It’s a rite of passage to watch the world juniors this time of year for all young kids. I remember growing up watching it. Now, it’s cancelled. We’re trying to save as much as we can and delay it.” The NHL postponed nine more games on Friday because of arena capacity issues in Canada — with teams being allowed anywhere from zero fans (Montreal Canadiens) to 50 per cent capacity (Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Can...