Lumaktaw sa pangunahing content

Over $4.2-B ‘hot money’ left PH

Foreign portfolio investments continued to depart the country in December on the lingering impact of the coronavirus crisis, bringing net outflows for full-2020 to $4.24 billion, according to the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP).

Data released on Thursday night showed that net outflows of these investments, or “hot money” — so called because of how easily these enter and exit the economy — reached $523.86 million last month, reversing November’s $226.75-million net inflows, but better than the $320.96-million outflows a year earlier.

The full-year figure was wider than the $1.90-billion net outflows in 2019, and compares with the central bank’s forecast of $2.8-billion inflows for 2020.

In a statement, the Bangko Sentral said the full-2020 net outflows resulted from the $15.91-billion outflows and $11.67-billion inflows for the year.

Broken down, the outflows were observed in Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE)-listed shares ($3.3 billion), peso government securities ($931 million), and other portfolio instruments ($22 million).

“Developments for the year included the ongoing impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the global economy and financial system, along with international and domestic developments throughout the year, such as geopolitical tensions, certain corporate governance issues and extended community quarantine measures in various regions in the country,” the BSP said.

Hot money inflows slid by 29.7 percent or $4.9 billion from $16.60 billion in 2019. The bulk, or 80.5 percent, of these investments were placed in PSE-listed securities, such as property companies; holding firms; banks; food, beverage and tobacco firms; and information technology companies. The rest were put in government securities.

About 80.5 percent of the investments registered were in PSE-listed securities and the remaining 19.5 percent in peso-denominated government securities.

The United Kingdom, Singapore, United States, Luxembourg and Hong Kong were the top five investor countries during the year. Their investments make up 78.2 percent of the total.

Hot money outflows, meanwhile, slipped by 14 percent or $2.6 billion from $18.50 billion in 2019.

“Majority (or 96.9 percent) of these outflows represented capital repatriation while the remaining 3.1 percent pertained to remittance of earnings,” the central bank said.
The US continued to be the main destination of outflows, accounting for 63.8 percent of the total.

In an outlook, Rizal Commercial Banking Corp. chief economist Michael Ricafort said the hot money data “could improve amid the recent gains in the local financial markets” on the back of more Covid-19 vaccine deals and rollout, the timely approval of the government’s P4.5-trillion national budget this year, and progress on key reform measures.

The further reopening of the economy, including easing some restrictions on public transport, allowing more businesses to operate again, and increasing capacity to help the economy recover further may lead to higher investment valuations in the country, as well as better net hot honey data, he added.

“Large fundraising activities by the largest local companies/conglomerates amid near record-low borrowing/financing costs, through the capital markets, especially via the issuance of bonds and share sales would entail more foreign portfolio investment inflows going forward,” Ricafort said.


Source: ManilaTimes

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

Canadians Abroad Roundup: Will Laryea be next Canadian in Premier League?

January was a transformative month for the Canadian men’s national team. Wins in Honduras and at home to the U.S. – coupled with the El Salvador road victory on Feb. 2 – all but guaranteed its qualification for the 2022 World Cup. Fans could start monitoring flights to Doha with relative comfort. An arguably superior development transpired that month, too. Nine Canadian-eligible players secured loans or permanent transfers to new clubs in the transfer window. Many of those moves were steps up in terms of the quality and size of the respective teams. For instance, Stephen Eustaquio joined Porto on loan with an option to buy from Pacos de Ferreira. Now he’s transitioned from mid-table obscurity to a league title and into the Champions League, provided reports are correct and he joins the Dragoes permanently. Ike Ugbo was loaned to Troyes in Ligue 1 from Genk, an admittedly big club in Belgium with a rich history. But moving to a top-five European league, especially to a club under t...

In anticipated season debut, Kyrie Irving scores 22 as Nets beat Pacers

NEW YORK — Kyrie Irving was just the jolt the Brooklyn Nets needed to escape a midseason slump. He can only provide it on a part-time basis, as his refusal to get vaccinated against the coronavirus means he can’t play in New York. So for now, Irving will enjoy every chance he gets on the road _ while still holding out hope he’ll be able to put on a show for his own fans. “I know what the consequences were, I still know what they are,” Irving said Wednesday night. “But right now, I’m just going to take it one day at a time, like I said, and just enjoy this time that I get to play with my guys. “However it looks later in the season, then we’ll address it then.” Irving scored 22 points in his first game of the season, helping the Nets rally for a 129-121 road victory over the Indiana Pacers. After being held out of the team’s first 35 games because he refused to get vaccinated, Irving started and played 32 minutes in his highly anticipated season debut. “The game of basketball i...

Duterte allows more pork imports

President Rodrigo Duterte has allowed additional pork imports to boost the supply and stabilize meat prices, a Palace official said on Thursday. President Rodrigo Duterte. Contributed photo According to Cabinet Secretary Karlo Alexei Nograles, the President approved during a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday the recommendation of the Department of Agriculture (DA) to increase the Minimum Access Volume (MAV) of pork imports for this year. He said the present MAV was 54,210 metric tons, but the DA projected that the annual demand for pork supply will reach 1,618,355 mt. “The DA has recommended that the MAV must be expanded just enough to cover the projected shortfall for the year,” Nograles said during a virtual press briefing. The MAV sets the limit on agricultural imports that have a customs duty lower than the out-quota customs tariff. Nograles said Duterte approved this proposal, along with the creation of a sub-task group on economic intelligence “to go after smugglers, profiteer...