Lumaktaw sa pangunahing content

‘Hot money’ inflows hit nearly $440M in Oct

Foreign portfolio investments returned to the positive territory in October after recording net inflows for the first time in eight months, data from the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) showed on Thursday.

Last month’s $439.46-million net inflows of these investments, or “hot money” — so called because of how easily these go in and out of the economy — reversed September’s $493.65-million net outflows.

The latest amount was the widest since the $762.82-million inflows in January last year and higher than the year-ago inflows of $104.53 million.

The October inflows resulted from inflows of $1.35 billion and outflows of $913.49 million.

In a statement, the BSP said the $1.35-billion registered investments for the 10th month were more than double or 127.8 percent bigger than the $594.02 million recorded last month.

The bulk, or 78.8 percent, of these investments were placed in Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE)-listed securities: information technology companies; banks; holding firms; property companies; and food, beverage and tobacco firms. The rest, in government securities.

The United Kingdom, the United States, Singapore, Luxembourg and Hong Kong were the top foreign investors last month. Their investments make up 80.9 percent of the total.

The $913.49-million outflows declined by 16 percent from September’s $1.08 billion. The US remained the main destination of the repatriated funds, accounting for 64.6 percent.

Hot money remained in the negative territory in January to October, with net outflows rising by 221.84 percent to $3.94 billion from the year-ago figure.

The central bank last year put that figure at $1.22 billion.

The BSP said the year-to-date outflows were “brought about by uncertainties due, among others, to the ongoing impact of the Covid-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) pandemic [on] the global economy and financial system, coupled with international and domestic developments, such as geopolitical tensions, certain corporate governance issues and extended quarantine measures in select regions in the country.”

The Bangko Sentral expects net hot money inflows to reach $2.4 billion this year.
In an outlook, Rizal Commercial Banking Corp. (RCBC) chief economist Michael Ricafort said hot money could improve in the coming months because of recent gains in the local financial markets amid reports that the proposed P4.5-trillion 2021 national budget is expected to be signed as early as December.

“Further reopening of the economy, including easing of some restrictions on public transport and allowing more businesses to operate again and increase capacity to help the economy recover [or] pick up further and also may lead to higher investment valuations in the country as well as better net foreign portfolio investments data,” he added.

Ricafort also expects more net hot money inflows amid the large fundraising activities of the largest local companies and conglomerates through bond issuances and share sales.

According to the RCBC economist, hot money inflows measure international investor sentiment about the country. He said that although these were short-term in nature, not all of them are, for some “represent some stakes in listed companies.”

“Hot money tends to cash in or cut losses over a relatively shorter period of time, though some net foreign portfolio investments stay for many years, depending on the investment view/horizon,” Ricafort added.


Source: ManilaTimes

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

Leonen is backlog topnotcher

Supreme Court Associate Justice Marvic Mario Victor Leonen has racked up the top spots in his division and the court en banc in terms of pending cases. Marvic Leonen Documents from the court show that aside from 82 unresolved en banc cases, Leonen also has 899 pending cases in the Third Division as of March 31, 2020. The division’s Statistics on Judicial Pending Cases was signed by Division Clerk of Court Misael Domingo Battung erd. Leonen has 199 cases classified as “aging” and 700 “non-aging” cases in the Third Division which he heads. Non-aging cases are cases which are waiting for other pleadings to be submitted. Other members of the Third Division at that time when the statistics were made were Justices Alexander Gesmundo, Rosmari Carandang, Rodil Zalameda and Samuel Gaerlan. Leonen has been with the Supreme Court for eight years, having been appointed by President Benigno Aquino 3rd on Nov. 21, 2012. He turns 58 years old on December 29. He is the division’s m...

TikTok donates $300,000 for typhoon victims in PH

Over the course of two weeks, two devastating back to back typhoons hit the Philippines. On November 1st, Super Typhoon Rolly (Goni) the strongest typhoon ever recorded in recent history struck the southern region of the Philippines. An estimated two million Filipinos have been affected, many of whom lost their homes and livelihoods. Ten days later, Typhoon Ulysses (Vamco) swept through many of the same provinces previously devastated by Typhoon Rolly, including Metro Manila and parts of Central Luzon leaving widespread flooding and power outages. Many areas are still struggling to recover from the aftermath of these calamities. Homes and livelihood across various provinces were lost to floods, strong winds and rain. LGUs and other organizations continue to mobilize and provide assistance to all who were affected by these typhoons, but many are still in desperate need of help. In line with its mission to inspire creativity and bring joy, TikTok has pledged to donate $300,000 (approxi...

NHL exec Colin Campbell explains league’s schedule goals in Canada

NHL senior executive vice president Colin Campbell says the league would like to try to preserve as many full-capacity home games as possible for Canadian fans, but acknowledges other factors are at play in redoing the schedule during the current COVID-19 surge. “You’d like to give the fans the opportunity to go to as many games as they can. They’ve already been shortchanged in the last year and a half … shortchanged completely watching hockey here in Canada,” Campbell said in an interview on the Real Kyper and Bourne show on Sportsnet 590 The Fan on Friday. “It’s a rite of passage to watch the world juniors this time of year for all young kids. I remember growing up watching it. Now, it’s cancelled. We’re trying to save as much as we can and delay it.” The NHL postponed nine more games on Friday because of arena capacity issues in Canada — with teams being allowed anywhere from zero fans (Montreal Canadiens) to 50 per cent capacity (Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Can...