Lumaktaw sa pangunahing content

Vardy vs Rooney: ‘Wagatha Christie’ trial to begin in High Court

The high-profile libel case – branded “Wagatha Christie” – between Rebekah Vardy and Coleen Rooney is finally set to go to trial on Tuesday.

Mrs Rooney accused Mrs Vardy of leaking “false stories” about her private life to the media in October 2019, after she said she carried out a months-long “sting operation”.

The wife of former England star Wayne Rooney was dubbed “Wagatha Christie” when she publicly claimed her fellow footballer’s wife shared three fake stories she had posted on her personal Instagram account with The Sun newspaper.

The fake stories included Mrs Rooney travelling to Mexico for a “gender selection” procedure, her planning to return to TV and the basement flooding at her home.

Mrs Rooney wrote: “I have saved and screenshotted all the original stories which clearly show just one person has viewed them.

“It’s ………. Rebekah Vardy’s account.”

Mrs Rooney’s post was widely shared and heavily parodied on social media at the time, including by the Twitter account of Jeremy Corbyn, then-leader of the Labour Party.

Mrs Vardy, who is married to Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy, denies the accusations and is suing Mrs Rooney for libel.

Under English defamation law, the burden of proof now will be on Mrs Rooney to prove that her post was “substantially true”.

Now the full trial is expected to begin at London’s Royal Courts of Justice following months of preliminary hearings – none of which have been attended by either Mrs Vardy or Mrs Rooney.

The case first went to court in November 2020, with a judge finding that Mrs Rooney’s post “clearly identified” Mrs Vardy as being “guilty of the serious and consistent breach of trust”.

The judge, now Lord Justice Warby, also said that “the element of suspense introduced by the multiple dots seems to me designed to raise expectations of a dramatic revelation”.

Since then, several hearings have taken place to prepare for the trial, including one where texts between Mrs Vardy and agent Caroline Watt emerged, in one of which Mrs Vardy called someone a “nasty b****”.

Wayne Rooney and Jamie Vardy representing England
Image: Wayne Rooney and Jamie Vardy representing England

In February, Mrs Rooney’s barrister David Sherborne told the High Court that a “series of unfortunate events” have happened over the evidence in the case, notably Ms Watt’s phone falling into the North Sea.

Mrs Vardy’s lawyers have said she has “nothing to hide”.

Most recently, the High Court was told by Mr Sherborne that Mrs Vardy “appears to accept” that Ms Watt was the source of leaked stories about Coleen Rooney that were published in The Sun newspaper.

Hugh Tomlinson QC, for Mrs Vardy, told the court that his client’s new witness statement did not contain “any change whatever in the pleaded case”.

Ms Watt had been due to give evidence in the trial, but was recently found to be “not fit” to take part, also withdrawing her written evidence.

Mr Tomlinson said: “We simply don’t know what the true position is in relation to Ms Watt… She’s not communicating with anybody.”

The trial in front of Mrs Justice Steyn is expected to last seven days.



Vardy vs Rooney: ‘Wagatha Christie’ trial to begin in High Court
Source: Healthy Lifestyle

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

Canadians Abroad Roundup: Will Laryea be next Canadian in Premier League?

January was a transformative month for the Canadian men’s national team. Wins in Honduras and at home to the U.S. – coupled with the El Salvador road victory on Feb. 2 – all but guaranteed its qualification for the 2022 World Cup. Fans could start monitoring flights to Doha with relative comfort. An arguably superior development transpired that month, too. Nine Canadian-eligible players secured loans or permanent transfers to new clubs in the transfer window. Many of those moves were steps up in terms of the quality and size of the respective teams. For instance, Stephen Eustaquio joined Porto on loan with an option to buy from Pacos de Ferreira. Now he’s transitioned from mid-table obscurity to a league title and into the Champions League, provided reports are correct and he joins the Dragoes permanently. Ike Ugbo was loaned to Troyes in Ligue 1 from Genk, an admittedly big club in Belgium with a rich history. But moving to a top-five European league, especially to a club under t...

In anticipated season debut, Kyrie Irving scores 22 as Nets beat Pacers

NEW YORK — Kyrie Irving was just the jolt the Brooklyn Nets needed to escape a midseason slump. He can only provide it on a part-time basis, as his refusal to get vaccinated against the coronavirus means he can’t play in New York. So for now, Irving will enjoy every chance he gets on the road _ while still holding out hope he’ll be able to put on a show for his own fans. “I know what the consequences were, I still know what they are,” Irving said Wednesday night. “But right now, I’m just going to take it one day at a time, like I said, and just enjoy this time that I get to play with my guys. “However it looks later in the season, then we’ll address it then.” Irving scored 22 points in his first game of the season, helping the Nets rally for a 129-121 road victory over the Indiana Pacers. After being held out of the team’s first 35 games because he refused to get vaccinated, Irving started and played 32 minutes in his highly anticipated season debut. “The game of basketball i...

Duterte allows more pork imports

President Rodrigo Duterte has allowed additional pork imports to boost the supply and stabilize meat prices, a Palace official said on Thursday. President Rodrigo Duterte. Contributed photo According to Cabinet Secretary Karlo Alexei Nograles, the President approved during a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday the recommendation of the Department of Agriculture (DA) to increase the Minimum Access Volume (MAV) of pork imports for this year. He said the present MAV was 54,210 metric tons, but the DA projected that the annual demand for pork supply will reach 1,618,355 mt. “The DA has recommended that the MAV must be expanded just enough to cover the projected shortfall for the year,” Nograles said during a virtual press briefing. The MAV sets the limit on agricultural imports that have a customs duty lower than the out-quota customs tariff. Nograles said Duterte approved this proposal, along with the creation of a sub-task group on economic intelligence “to go after smugglers, profiteer...