Lumaktaw sa pangunahing content

Canada’s Shapovalov wins after getting into it with umpire, fans in Rome

Canada’s Denis Shapovalov rebounded for a win on Monday after getting into a loud argument with the chair umpire and then screaming words of frustration at the crowd in Rome.

The No. 13 seed beat Italy’s Lorenzo Sonego 7-6 (5), 3-6, 6-3 in a wildly entertaining first-round match at the Italian Open.

Shapovalov was docked a point for unsportsmanlike conduct by umpire Richard Haigh after stepping over the net to argue a line call in the second set, leading to a break for Sonego.

Shapovalov, who called the rule “stupid”, then raised his concern with a supervisor. With the crowd jeering as he was arguing, Shapovalov was caught by cameras screaming at the fans to “shut the f— up.”

Shapovalov apologized to the umpire while shaking hands with Haigh at the end of the match.

In his post-match press conference, Shapovalov said he needs to “be better with my behaviour.”

“Never obviously done it before (stepped over the net), otherwise I would have known the rules. Yeah, like I said, it was the heat of the moment so I got emotional. I apologized after. Obviously it was my mistake. There’s nothing they can do.

“I’ll know the rule for next time. I definitely won’t step over the net.”

The Canadian responded well, dominating the third set against the world No. 28 at the ATP 1000 clay-court event.

“I haven’t learned yet exactly. I mean, obviously I think it’s a heat-of-the-moment kind of thing. I just need to improve with handling myself about that,” he said.

Sonego also had his issues with the umpire.

He said he was penalized by a decision in the first set when Haigh came down to check a mark and made an overrule, awarding the point to Shapovalov when the Italian thought the point should have been replayed.

There was also a questionable overrule in the third set.

“Things like that shouldn’t happen,” Sonego said. “They should use video replay. That could be a big help for the umpire.”

Video review was used for calling lines at last week’s Madrid Open. But there is no such system in place in Rome.

Shapovalov has had success in Rome, falling just short against Rafael Nadal in a three-set round-of-16 match last year in which he had two match points. The previous year, Shapovalov reached the semifinals.

The Canadian will face Georgia’s Nikoloz Basilashvili in the second round.

— With files from The Associated Press



Canada’s Shapovalov wins after getting into it with umpire, fans in Rome
Source: Healthy Lifestyle

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

Leonen is backlog topnotcher

Supreme Court Associate Justice Marvic Mario Victor Leonen has racked up the top spots in his division and the court en banc in terms of pending cases. Marvic Leonen Documents from the court show that aside from 82 unresolved en banc cases, Leonen also has 899 pending cases in the Third Division as of March 31, 2020. The division’s Statistics on Judicial Pending Cases was signed by Division Clerk of Court Misael Domingo Battung erd. Leonen has 199 cases classified as “aging” and 700 “non-aging” cases in the Third Division which he heads. Non-aging cases are cases which are waiting for other pleadings to be submitted. Other members of the Third Division at that time when the statistics were made were Justices Alexander Gesmundo, Rosmari Carandang, Rodil Zalameda and Samuel Gaerlan. Leonen has been with the Supreme Court for eight years, having been appointed by President Benigno Aquino 3rd on Nov. 21, 2012. He turns 58 years old on December 29. He is the division’s m...

TikTok donates $300,000 for typhoon victims in PH

Over the course of two weeks, two devastating back to back typhoons hit the Philippines. On November 1st, Super Typhoon Rolly (Goni) the strongest typhoon ever recorded in recent history struck the southern region of the Philippines. An estimated two million Filipinos have been affected, many of whom lost their homes and livelihoods. Ten days later, Typhoon Ulysses (Vamco) swept through many of the same provinces previously devastated by Typhoon Rolly, including Metro Manila and parts of Central Luzon leaving widespread flooding and power outages. Many areas are still struggling to recover from the aftermath of these calamities. Homes and livelihood across various provinces were lost to floods, strong winds and rain. LGUs and other organizations continue to mobilize and provide assistance to all who were affected by these typhoons, but many are still in desperate need of help. In line with its mission to inspire creativity and bring joy, TikTok has pledged to donate $300,000 (approxi...

NHL exec Colin Campbell explains league’s schedule goals in Canada

NHL senior executive vice president Colin Campbell says the league would like to try to preserve as many full-capacity home games as possible for Canadian fans, but acknowledges other factors are at play in redoing the schedule during the current COVID-19 surge. “You’d like to give the fans the opportunity to go to as many games as they can. They’ve already been shortchanged in the last year and a half … shortchanged completely watching hockey here in Canada,” Campbell said in an interview on the Real Kyper and Bourne show on Sportsnet 590 The Fan on Friday. “It’s a rite of passage to watch the world juniors this time of year for all young kids. I remember growing up watching it. Now, it’s cancelled. We’re trying to save as much as we can and delay it.” The NHL postponed nine more games on Friday because of arena capacity issues in Canada — with teams being allowed anywhere from zero fans (Montreal Canadiens) to 50 per cent capacity (Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Can...