Lumaktaw sa pangunahing content

‘PH economy to rise over 7% in 2021’

Fitch Solutions and the Asean+3 Macroeconomic Research Office (AMRO) on Friday forecast the Philippine economy to grow by more than 7 percent in 2021 on improved consumption and confidence.

In a report, the macroeconomic research unit of the Fitch Group said it continued to see the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) expanding by 7.6 percent, adding that “household consumption remains key to the growth rebound, with a recovery in gross capital formation dependent on stronger domestic demand.”

It expects private consumption and gross capital formation to rise by 5.5 percent and 25.1 percent this year, respectively, from their average contractions of 7.9 percent and 35.4 percent in 2020.

The rebound in remittances, improving household sentiment and the government’s reluctance to return to the strict lockdown imposed in April are some of the positive factors that would support consumption, Fitch Solutions said.

Investments are also expected to expand, it added, but emphasized this may only materialize later in the year, given the low capacity utilization rates and building permit volumes in the first three quarters of 2020.

The Fitch unit also believes the government would keep its accommodative fiscal stance to aid recovery in domestic activity, while an upturn in global trade would boost the economy, albeit not enough to offset disruptions to private domestic demand.

“The ability of the government to provide stimulus also somewhat rests on its containment of the pandemic,” it added.

Fitch Solutions warned, though, that the risk of government funds being reallocated toward fighting another surge in coronavirus infections, as was the case last year, remained. And a reimposition of lockdown measures “would be highly damaging to the economy.”

In a separate statement, AMRO expects the country’s GDP to expand by 7.4 percent as more restrictions are eased and confidence is restored by mass vaccinations and continued policy support.

But it said more policy support and a faster rollout of coronavirus vaccines were essential to a more solid economic recovery.

AMRO warned the economy continued to face multiple downside risks and challenges to its recovery, including a prolonged wave of the pandemic and a slower-than-expected global rebound.

Businesses could also face financial distress with implications for reduced potential growth due to the scars a prolonged downturn could leave.

“As the recovery remains fragile and is at its early stage, the government should maintain sufficient policy support to ensure a robust economic recovery while safeguarding against potential macroeconomic and financial risks,” AMRO lead economist Siu Fung Yiu was quoted as saying in the statement.

The Asean office highlighted the need for further fiscal support, which would be critical if the growth momentum was weaker than expected and the economy were to falter.

On monetary response, it suggested that the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas should collaborate with other state agencies to offer banks greater incentives to increase lending to businesses, especially micro, small, and medium enterprises.

“The development of financial risks should be closely monitored, while the intervention and resolution framework should continue to be strengthened,” AMRO added.

Fitch Solutions’ and AMRO’s domestic output outlooks compare with the government’s official forecast range of 6.5 to 7.5 percent. Last year, the economy shrank by 9.5 percent, its lowest level since the government started collecting GDP data in 1946.

 


Source: ManilaTimes

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

Canadians Abroad Roundup: Will Laryea be next Canadian in Premier League?

January was a transformative month for the Canadian men’s national team. Wins in Honduras and at home to the U.S. – coupled with the El Salvador road victory on Feb. 2 – all but guaranteed its qualification for the 2022 World Cup. Fans could start monitoring flights to Doha with relative comfort. An arguably superior development transpired that month, too. Nine Canadian-eligible players secured loans or permanent transfers to new clubs in the transfer window. Many of those moves were steps up in terms of the quality and size of the respective teams. For instance, Stephen Eustaquio joined Porto on loan with an option to buy from Pacos de Ferreira. Now he’s transitioned from mid-table obscurity to a league title and into the Champions League, provided reports are correct and he joins the Dragoes permanently. Ike Ugbo was loaned to Troyes in Ligue 1 from Genk, an admittedly big club in Belgium with a rich history. But moving to a top-five European league, especially to a club under t...

In anticipated season debut, Kyrie Irving scores 22 as Nets beat Pacers

NEW YORK — Kyrie Irving was just the jolt the Brooklyn Nets needed to escape a midseason slump. He can only provide it on a part-time basis, as his refusal to get vaccinated against the coronavirus means he can’t play in New York. So for now, Irving will enjoy every chance he gets on the road _ while still holding out hope he’ll be able to put on a show for his own fans. “I know what the consequences were, I still know what they are,” Irving said Wednesday night. “But right now, I’m just going to take it one day at a time, like I said, and just enjoy this time that I get to play with my guys. “However it looks later in the season, then we’ll address it then.” Irving scored 22 points in his first game of the season, helping the Nets rally for a 129-121 road victory over the Indiana Pacers. After being held out of the team’s first 35 games because he refused to get vaccinated, Irving started and played 32 minutes in his highly anticipated season debut. “The game of basketball i...

Duterte allows more pork imports

President Rodrigo Duterte has allowed additional pork imports to boost the supply and stabilize meat prices, a Palace official said on Thursday. President Rodrigo Duterte. Contributed photo According to Cabinet Secretary Karlo Alexei Nograles, the President approved during a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday the recommendation of the Department of Agriculture (DA) to increase the Minimum Access Volume (MAV) of pork imports for this year. He said the present MAV was 54,210 metric tons, but the DA projected that the annual demand for pork supply will reach 1,618,355 mt. “The DA has recommended that the MAV must be expanded just enough to cover the projected shortfall for the year,” Nograles said during a virtual press briefing. The MAV sets the limit on agricultural imports that have a customs duty lower than the out-quota customs tariff. Nograles said Duterte approved this proposal, along with the creation of a sub-task group on economic intelligence “to go after smugglers, profiteer...