Lumaktaw sa pangunahing content

PH economy sinks to record low in 2020

The Philippine economy dived to its lowest level in the postwar era last year after shrinking by 8.3 percent in the fourth quarter, the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) announced on Thursday.

Claire Dennis Mapa. Photo by John Verdote

In a briefing, National Statistician Claire Dennis Mapa said the October-to-December gross domestic product (GDP) figure was an improvement from the revised 11.4-percent decline in the third quarter, but a reversal of the 6.7-percent expansion a year earlier.

This brought the full-2020 figure to -9.5 percent, which the official called the “lowest since 1946,” when the government started collecting annual GDP data.

The figure is a turnaround from 2019’s 6.0-percent growth and hits the high end of the government’s adjusted forecast of an 8.5- to 9.5-percent contraction. It is also worse than the country’s 7-percent GDP drop in 1984.

It is deeper than the average 9.2-percent full-year contraction projected by analysts surveyed by The Manila Times, Moody’s Investors Service’s 7 percent, the World Bank’s 8.1 percent and the Asian Development Bank’s 8.5 percent; matches S&P Global Ratings’ 9.5 percent; and better than Fitch Ratings’ and the International Monetary Fund’s 9.6 percent.
Net primary income from the rest of the world and gross national income both declined by 27.3 percent and 11.1 percent, respectively, Mapa said.

In a joint statement on the domestic output data, the country’s economic managers — Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez 3rd, Budget Secretary Wendel Avisado and Acting Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Karl Kendrick Chua — acknowledged that the coronavirus pandemic disrupted the country’s “growth momentum and development trajectory,” but assured that “prospects for 2021 are encouraging.”

“With the continuous calibrated reopening of businesses and mass transportation, and the relaxation of age-group restrictions, we will see more economic activity in the months ahead,” the officials said.

“This will lead to a strong recovery before the end of the year, when the government will have rolled out enough vaccines against Covid-19 for a majority of our people,” they added.

“The Duterte administration’s efforts to increasingly open the economy while taking resolute steps to fast-track the vaccination program and keep the Covid-19 caseload to the lowest level possible, would boost business and consumer confidence that are crucial to a robust economic recovery,” the managers said.

“All of these efforts to contain the coronavirus and revive the economy will allow us to prevent long-term economic scarring and productivity losses and recover to the pre-pandemic level by mid-2022,” they added.

Earlier, Dominguez, Avisado and Chua, as members of the interagency Development Budget Coordination Committee, estimated that the economy would grow by 6.5 to 7.5 percent this year and by 8 to 10 percent in 2022.

Meanwhile, analysts said in separate statements that, despite the managers’ optimistic outlook, growth prospects remained challenging.

“Mobility restrictions, albeit less restrictive than before, are still in place. The labor market is still weak, with the unemployment rate at 8.7 percent in Q4 (fourth quarter). Real time indicators have also been softening after a brief uptick in December last year on back of the holiday season,” ANZ Research said.

Fiscal spending this year would have to be more rigorous, it added, noting that while this year’s P4.5-trillion budget is expansive in size and scope, “its effective delivery will be of seminal importance.”

ING Bank Manila senior economist Nicholas Antonio Mapa said he expected GDP to still contract until the first quarter of 2021 before growing by 13 percent in the second, mainly on base effects.

Household spending, which is the main growth engine of the economy, is likely to stay in low gear while capital is not expected to make a “significant comeback,” he added.

“With only a modest pickup in government outlays expected in 2021 and with the trade balance forecast to remain in deficit, we do not see a stark pickup in economic activity, with GDP growth powered mainly by base effects with the economy still lacking substantial momentum to drive growth back to the 6-percent level.”


Source: ManilaTimes

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

Canadians Abroad Roundup: Will Laryea be next Canadian in Premier League?

January was a transformative month for the Canadian men’s national team. Wins in Honduras and at home to the U.S. – coupled with the El Salvador road victory on Feb. 2 – all but guaranteed its qualification for the 2022 World Cup. Fans could start monitoring flights to Doha with relative comfort. An arguably superior development transpired that month, too. Nine Canadian-eligible players secured loans or permanent transfers to new clubs in the transfer window. Many of those moves were steps up in terms of the quality and size of the respective teams. For instance, Stephen Eustaquio joined Porto on loan with an option to buy from Pacos de Ferreira. Now he’s transitioned from mid-table obscurity to a league title and into the Champions League, provided reports are correct and he joins the Dragoes permanently. Ike Ugbo was loaned to Troyes in Ligue 1 from Genk, an admittedly big club in Belgium with a rich history. But moving to a top-five European league, especially to a club under t...

In anticipated season debut, Kyrie Irving scores 22 as Nets beat Pacers

NEW YORK — Kyrie Irving was just the jolt the Brooklyn Nets needed to escape a midseason slump. He can only provide it on a part-time basis, as his refusal to get vaccinated against the coronavirus means he can’t play in New York. So for now, Irving will enjoy every chance he gets on the road _ while still holding out hope he’ll be able to put on a show for his own fans. “I know what the consequences were, I still know what they are,” Irving said Wednesday night. “But right now, I’m just going to take it one day at a time, like I said, and just enjoy this time that I get to play with my guys. “However it looks later in the season, then we’ll address it then.” Irving scored 22 points in his first game of the season, helping the Nets rally for a 129-121 road victory over the Indiana Pacers. After being held out of the team’s first 35 games because he refused to get vaccinated, Irving started and played 32 minutes in his highly anticipated season debut. “The game of basketball i...

Duterte allows more pork imports

President Rodrigo Duterte has allowed additional pork imports to boost the supply and stabilize meat prices, a Palace official said on Thursday. President Rodrigo Duterte. Contributed photo According to Cabinet Secretary Karlo Alexei Nograles, the President approved during a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday the recommendation of the Department of Agriculture (DA) to increase the Minimum Access Volume (MAV) of pork imports for this year. He said the present MAV was 54,210 metric tons, but the DA projected that the annual demand for pork supply will reach 1,618,355 mt. “The DA has recommended that the MAV must be expanded just enough to cover the projected shortfall for the year,” Nograles said during a virtual press briefing. The MAV sets the limit on agricultural imports that have a customs duty lower than the out-quota customs tariff. Nograles said Duterte approved this proposal, along with the creation of a sub-task group on economic intelligence “to go after smugglers, profiteer...