Lumaktaw sa pangunahing content

GDP to contract by 11% this year – BPI

The Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) further downgraded its Philippine economic growth outlook this year after factoring in current and recent developments, including natural calamaties that struck the country in the last several weeks.

BPI lead economist Emilio Neri

In a report on Thursday night, BPI Vice President and lead economist Emilio Neri Jr. said the Ayala-led lender now forecast the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) to shrink by 11 percent for full-year 2020, worse than its earlier projection of a 9.3-percent contraction.

BPI revised its outlook, he added, “mainly to take into account the [country’s] gradual recovery from the [coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19)] pandemic, the severe impact of recent typhoons and the underspending of the government.”

The bank’s latest projection is worse than the government’s revised assumption of a 5.5-percent contraction for 2020.

It is also worse than all the GDP estimates earlier compiled by The Manila Times: ING Bank Manila’s -10.8 percent, Rizal Commercial Banking Corp.’s -9.5 percent to -10 percent, Security Bank Corp.’s -9.9 percent; Fitch Ratings’ -9.6 percent, S&P Global Ratings’ -9.5 percent, Capital Economics’ -9.5 percent, Fitch Solutions and ANZ Research’s -9.1 percent, the International Monetary Fund’s -8.3 percent, the Asian Development Bank’s -7.3 percent, Moody’s Investors Service’s -7 percent, and the World Bank’s -6.9 percent.

The Philippines remained in recession after domestic output slid by 11.5 in the third quarter, 16.9 percent in the second and 0.7 percent in the first. This brought the contraction in GDP to 10 percent in the first nine months.

The National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) earlier projected that the typhoons that hit the Philippines recently — “Quinta” (international name: Molave) and “Rolly” (Goni) in late October and “Ulysses” (Vamco) in the first half of November — might pull down the country’s GDP by 0.15 percent, or P90 billion in value.

Latest data from the Bureau of the Treasury showed that state spending in the first 10 months of the year surged by 12.75 percent to P3.31 trillion from P2.93 trillion in the same period in 2019.

Despite this, Neri said “government spending has been anemic in recent months, following the 50-percent jump in the second quarter,” noting that such spending slipped to P289.6 billion in October from P310.8 billion a year ago.

“This is the second month in a row that government spending declined year-on-year following the 15.5 percent drop in September,” he added.

The BPI official added that bad weather last month might have delayed the implementation of infrastructure projects, which contributed to the lower spending.

Another double-digit decline in domestic output is possible this quarter if the government continues to underspend, Neri warned.

He said the latest GDP report suggested that consumer confidence remained weak and its recovery would likely take a long time. Meanwhile, private businesses would not spend on expansion in an environment where consumer demand is weak.

“The government is the only institution right now that has the capacity to spend… Without a strong fiscal response, the economy may contract by around 13 percent year-on-year in the fourth quarter,” Neri added.


Source: ManilaTimes

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

Canadians Abroad Roundup: Will Laryea be next Canadian in Premier League?

January was a transformative month for the Canadian men’s national team. Wins in Honduras and at home to the U.S. – coupled with the El Salvador road victory on Feb. 2 – all but guaranteed its qualification for the 2022 World Cup. Fans could start monitoring flights to Doha with relative comfort. An arguably superior development transpired that month, too. Nine Canadian-eligible players secured loans or permanent transfers to new clubs in the transfer window. Many of those moves were steps up in terms of the quality and size of the respective teams. For instance, Stephen Eustaquio joined Porto on loan with an option to buy from Pacos de Ferreira. Now he’s transitioned from mid-table obscurity to a league title and into the Champions League, provided reports are correct and he joins the Dragoes permanently. Ike Ugbo was loaned to Troyes in Ligue 1 from Genk, an admittedly big club in Belgium with a rich history. But moving to a top-five European league, especially to a club under t...

Duterte allows more pork imports

President Rodrigo Duterte has allowed additional pork imports to boost the supply and stabilize meat prices, a Palace official said on Thursday. President Rodrigo Duterte. Contributed photo According to Cabinet Secretary Karlo Alexei Nograles, the President approved during a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday the recommendation of the Department of Agriculture (DA) to increase the Minimum Access Volume (MAV) of pork imports for this year. He said the present MAV was 54,210 metric tons, but the DA projected that the annual demand for pork supply will reach 1,618,355 mt. “The DA has recommended that the MAV must be expanded just enough to cover the projected shortfall for the year,” Nograles said during a virtual press briefing. The MAV sets the limit on agricultural imports that have a customs duty lower than the out-quota customs tariff. Nograles said Duterte approved this proposal, along with the creation of a sub-task group on economic intelligence “to go after smugglers, profiteer...

In anticipated season debut, Kyrie Irving scores 22 as Nets beat Pacers

NEW YORK — Kyrie Irving was just the jolt the Brooklyn Nets needed to escape a midseason slump. He can only provide it on a part-time basis, as his refusal to get vaccinated against the coronavirus means he can’t play in New York. So for now, Irving will enjoy every chance he gets on the road _ while still holding out hope he’ll be able to put on a show for his own fans. “I know what the consequences were, I still know what they are,” Irving said Wednesday night. “But right now, I’m just going to take it one day at a time, like I said, and just enjoy this time that I get to play with my guys. “However it looks later in the season, then we’ll address it then.” Irving scored 22 points in his first game of the season, helping the Nets rally for a 129-121 road victory over the Indiana Pacers. After being held out of the team’s first 35 games because he refused to get vaccinated, Irving started and played 32 minutes in his highly anticipated season debut. “The game of basketball i...